Monday, July 20, 2009

The joy of parenting

A fun exchange with my 3.5 year old son last Saturday morning...

"We need some Saran Wrap at the store."
"What's Saran Wrap, Daddy?"
"It's that sticky stuff we put over bowls when we put things in the fridge."
"What's it made of?"
"It's entirely made of Saran Wrap!"
"No!"
"Yes! Do you know what apples are made of?"
"What are apples made of, Daddy?"
"They're entirely made of apples!"
"They are!" *pleased*
"Do you know what cheese is made of?"
"It's made of cheese!"
"No, it's made of milk."
"That's not true, it's cheese, Daddy!"
"I guarantee you, come look..."
*pulls out cheese, makes son sound out M-I-L-K as the number one ingredient*
"See, it's milk!"
*son looking very doubtful*
"Do you know what Soylent Green is made of?"
"What is Soylent Green made of, Daddy?"
"IT'S PEOPLE! Soylent Green is PEOPLLLLLLLE!"
"No it's not! It's not people!" *laughing*

It was a fun morning. I only regret that we ran out of time before I managed to convince him that yelling "SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!" is fun.

1 comment:

  1. This is a delightful story. Thanks, Bret. You make me long to have young ones around me again.
    -RJ

    ReplyDelete